This page will be dedicated to cooking outside using cast iron Dutch Ovens. I like to use charcoal briquettes for my heat source but you can use coals from a campfire just as easily. From time to time I will share some favorite recipes here for you try on your next camping trip.
- 2 – 15.5 ounce cans pinto beans
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 jalapeno finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/8 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start briquettes. (I start with about 12)
- When grey and lighter fluid has burned off place dutch oven on coals.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of canola oil.
- When oil is hot add chopped onions and cook until soft and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and jalapenos and cook for 4 or 5 minutes longer.
- Add canned beans, beef broth and sausage simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes or so until the spices have a chance to cook out that raw spice flavor.
Serve with corn bread or biscuits (recipes will follow another day)
Note: keep a few extra briquettes started in case you lose heat and need a few more.