Todays post for recipe Friday is for biscuits cooked in a dutch oven. I have made these many times and the are a go to item on camping trips.
Baking Powder Biscuits
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- Heat dutch oven to 450 degrees. Use 20 coals on top and 14 coals on the bottom. I have a round cake pan that fits in my dutch oven that I put the biscuits in to bake this leaves a gap below the bread and the hot bottom of the pan this keeps the biscuits from burning as easily.
- Cut shortening into flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs .Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat ½ inch thick. Cut with floured 2 ½-inch round cutter. Place in ungreased dutch oven.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from oven. Serve warm. Serve warm.